Wednesday, March 7, 2012

2 Years ago today.......

Dan and I were in Xi'an.  We walked off of an elevator and saw this very frightened and ragamuffin looking child.  She is one of the bravest children I have ever had the privilege to meet.  It is with God's blessings that I get to call her my daughter. 

I can not imagine not being able to hear or understand most of what is going on around you.  Being confronted by people who look nothing like you are used to people looking like and smelling nothing like you are familiar with.  Then after spending about an hour with them you take the hand of the woman (I'm so loud by nature I think I am the only thing she can hear with out her aides on) and walk away from the people who brought you there and had offered you comfort and support for most of your 2 1/2 years on earth.  That is exactly what my brave Annie did.

At first we did have issues.  I kept giving her stuffed animals not picking up on her clues that she hated them and wanted them no where near her.  Meimei Bear was the only exception.  I did have a little lamb who followed me where ever I went.  That includes the bathroom.  Annie did not want anything to do with Dan.  He had two jobs and two jobs only.  He was allowed to lift her up and put her on the bed to put her shoes on not a thing more if the trip back down to the floor seemed like it took a second longer because a hug was being snuck in she made sure to vocalize her displeasure.  As we were walking out the door he was also allowed to help her get her back-pack on.  That was it.

Once we came home we discovered the extent of Annie's hearing loss and the extent of her delays.  She was almost 3 and no words in English, Mandarin, ASL or Goldfish for that matter!  She was barely walking and could not get on and off the couch by herself.  Yet her sweet, persistence and determination made her not only survive while she was in China but became the best tools in her toolbox to help her thrive once home.

Today Annie knows English and ASL.  She is a little chatterbox with both her voice and her hands.  She hardly walks she dances and runs wherever she goes.  She has been fitted with a BAHA and this year we are on target to start the testing for her permeant hearing solution.  Her scoliosis is maintaining where it is at and hopeful will never need to be more than just monitored.

I look at her daily and marvel at how amazing God is.  It is sooooo obvious that Annie was made to be my daughter.  I have to remind myself that she did not come from my body.  She is truly my mini-me.  She has my mannerism and attitude (Lord help us all) and she has a sweetness to her that you have to experience to really understand just how sweet it is.  

I love you Roo-Roo.  My life would not be complete without you, my Nana-Roo and your big sister Bear in it.

From this....

To this!

No comments: