To my beautiful daughters. Today was a day that I will remember for the rest of my life. Today linked my love to both of my girls in a special way. My experience today brings me back to China almost 5 years ago. Similar place, similar circumstances, a deep and profound love. One experience; in two times.
It was late June 2005, when we adopted you, Lizzy in the city of Chongqing. It was a hot and sticky day in the high 90's, and we traveled to Dazhou to see the ruins. It was a day that I carried you, all during the day in that heat and I carried you all the way home on the three-hour bus ride. You slept in my arms the entire way, and it was after our bonding experience during that ride home, that something very special occurred, and a bond of love was formed between a Daddy and a daughter that continues until today. It was that night that the "switch" came on, and your Mommy and I saw you come out of your shell to see the beautiful baby that we had adopted. It is a moment we will never forget for it is written in our heart.
Today is also that day. It is another story with you, Annie, but it became that same experience. Today was a mild day today, about 75 degrees, but very high humidity that made everything sticky. Safari-land is a beautiful place, here in Guangzhou. There are many animals to see, and everything is spread out very nicely, so that it's a lot of walking and enjoying family time. I carried you all day, today, Annie. From the time we got out of the van, till the time we walked back into our hotel room, you were in my arms. We shared most every moment together, seeing the animals, going on the safari. We got to know each other today, the silliness we have come to share, the dancing, the word plays up and back between us. And I held you, my beautiful baby, in my arms all the way home in that grid-locked traffic. As you slept in my arms, a flood of emotions over-took me. I remembered my love for Lizzy. My time with her in Dazhou in which we fell in love. And the warmth of your sleeping body next to mine, Annie, made me realize that this is the same event, the same circumstances, the same love. It reminded me of the red thread that you sisters share. It is the same with both of you, a bond formed in China, a love and bonding moment , and a glimpse of a future of family.
I wish I could put into words that feeling I experienced as I held you both, one 5 years ago, one this afternoon. The overwhelming sense of love for both of you fills my heart. It was a moment that transcends time for me, as I felt present at both times, in the moment now, and the experience of what was, in 2005.
During a time in each adoption, I had worries of the unknown. With Lizzy, what would it mean to become a parent? Could I really care for a child and raise them and truly love them? My worries for Annie, could I meet Annie's needs? And now, each time, the worries have evaporated. What folly they seem now. There is no worry, there is no fear, there is only a deep love and joy that fills my heart for you both. You are my daughters, and I am your Daddy.
My experience today with you, Annie, is my experience with you, Lizzy. Both at two different times, yet both the same love. It is a holy experience. One that I know is filled with God's love. One that I know was seen in God's mind from the beginning. For we are family, my beautiful children. I love you both very dearly. You are my loves, you are my joy. You are beautiful to me. I can't wait to hold both of you in my arms. I know that I will cry my eyes out when the four of us are together, for I love you more than words can say.
Love Daddy!
4 comments:
Seriously crying my eyes out. How sweet. It makes me want to get on a plane to Ethiopia right now. Your family is so truly blessed and beautiful.
speechless
It fills me with joy that you allow your readers to share this journey with you! Love is so many moments and then the totality somehow binds those moments into one thing. One thing we call love but really we have no description for! Thank you Jamie and Dan for this journey of love. One of the people who was in my grief support group had a granddaughter from China. One meeting she brought the 'Thin Red String' to share. Now I use it for every group. Lin Bresnahan
Beautiful...I am so happy for you guys....your words are amazing, I have to dry my face. May God bless your new family!
Post a Comment