skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Shopping with Ann
Today our friend Ann came and took us and the other 2 ladies shopping. Seeing the markets and wholesale malls was very neat.
The things sold there are not the same as home.
Anyone want a dried turtle on a stick?
We went through a strip that I will call the Chinese answer to PetSmart. They were selling purebred puppies of all types but mainly the toy or miniature variety for 300 RMB. That would translate to roughly $45 USD. There were beautiful Persian kittens for nearly the same price.
One of the stops we made was to a pearl vendor. They were hand knotting the pearls and turning them into necklaces and bracelets right before our eyes. I did not realize that pearls came in so many colors pink, white, peach, black and every color in between. There were also amber, jade, cubic zirconia, cinnabar and vendors for something called tigers eye.
After the indoor mall we went to the jade market outside and it was more like a back alley. It was a little scary and if we had not been with Ann I would say intimidating.
In order to come back from our shopping excursion we all hopped in a van. There was a seat for the driver the front passenger and 2 people in back. Becky and Judy sat on the ground in the back of the van. At that point whatever got us back and made it so we didn’t have to walk was fine by us.
Tonight we are joing our group for dinner at La Dolce Vita. It may be a repeat dinner for us but you won’t hear us complain. Our favorite restaurants on the island are Cow and Bridge, Lucy’s and La Dolce Vita.
1 comment:
Hi Jamie, I've been following your trip. Annie looks great, you may not see it, but she is changing just over the course of your photos. Ah, Cow & Bridge, memories. And that street market, I always regret not buying saffron. It was being sold in huge bags, like pound bags for $3. Not sure if I would get that past customs, so I decided against it. Enjoy the rest of your trip and your new "xiao bao ba" (precious little baby). You're taking wonderful pictures btw. Zai jian. Debbie Krone
Post a Comment